The Foundation Stone
The year 1991 witnessed the release of the award-winning Hindi movie ‘Prahar’ directed by the Legend of Hindi cinema, Shri Nana Patekar. This film dealt with the deep-rooted, unexplored area of a soldier’s psyche. The movie at length showed, the make of a soldier and highlighted qualities like discipline, courage, vigilance, values of life and patriotism, that a soldier possesses. When a soldier faces these vices prevalent in the society, his instant reaction is to fight it out. Hence, the movie depicted a soldier’s fierce will to uproot this evil that thrives in the society, changing the arena of the battlefield.
In fact, today the need to fight the internal enemy i.e. terrorism, anti-social elements etc. is greater than ever. The movie makes one to ponder upon the above facts. The last frame of the movie shows children bereft of any anti-social feelings, running together in pure and natural state, smiling with the feeling of brotherhood and care – The optimistic picture of tomorrow’s citizens.
Late Colonel Sunil Deshpande VSM (Retd) was the military advisor to the film ‘Prahar’. His expertise was seen in the making of each and every scene of the movie. Days and nights of brain-storming sessions of the movie with the director, started to kindle the idea of inculcating soldierly qualities in the society so as to make it bold and strong. Where the movie ‘Prahar’ ended, the organization Prahar took birth.
With this motive of cultivating a soldier’s mindset in today’s youth, the Organization Prahar was Founded on the 9th of January 1994.
Our Founder President
Late Col Sunil Deshpande VSM
(10 April 1943 – 20 April 2018)
Late Col Sunil Deshpande VSM (Retd) is the architect of Prahar – Samaj Jagruti Sanstha. He was commissioned in 2nd Maratha Kali Panchwin in the year 1964. He took active part in the 1965 war in the Battle of Hussainiwala, wherein his battalion saved the Samadhi of Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev and the Hussainiwala Headworks from going into the hands of the Pakistanis. In the year 1971 Indo-Pak war Col Deshpande was present at the Battle of Sakkargarh. He commanded the same battalion in which he was commissioned i.e. 2nd Maratha Kali Panchwin in the thick jungles of North East. The President of India awarded Vishishta Seva Medal on Republic Day 1987 since the unit 2nd Maratha under his command, apprehended 76 insurgents in the thick jungles of Manipur and Mizoram 1983-1986. He has held various prestigious appointments in the Indian Army. He is an excellent orator and could render any given topic with ease. Being an able administrator, he was donned in the unique cradle of leadership.
On completion of the movie Prahar, he decided to take pre-mature retirement from the army in 1993 and work in the society to spread the message of the movie. For his outstanding social work of awakening the masses, he was awarded
- Savarkar Gaurav Puraskar
- Maharashtra Gaurav Puraskar
- Outstanding Person of the Year Award by the Rotary Club
- Maitri Gaurav Puraskar
- Vanrai Puraskar for Social Work
- Hero of Nagpur Award by Times of India
After 75 Golden and inspiring years, full of patriotism and social service, Col Sunil Deshpande VSM left for his final journey on 20th April, 2018.
Mrs. Shama Deshpande
Late Colonel Deshpande’s wife, Mrs. Shama Deshpande is also an active social worker. She has been a pillar of strength and takes keen interest in all the activities of Prahar organization. Her special guidance is received by the all everytime. With her love and nurturing this organization flourishes and reaches new heights every day.
Our Founder Trustee
Flt Lt Shiwalee Deshpande (Retd)
Late Colonel Sunil Deshpande’s daughter Flight Lieutenant Shiwalee Deshpande(Retd) was commissioned in the Indian Air Force in 1997 in the Admin ATC /FC branch. When in college, she was an active NCC Cadet and was selected to represent Maharashtra in the Best Cadet category at the Republic Day Camp of the NCC in New Delhi. Under the Youth Exchange Program of the National Cadet Corps (NCC) being the All India Best Cadet (Gold Medalist) was selected to represent India to United Kingdom in July 1993.
She also marched on the Rajpath on 26thJanuary 1993. She was the first girl in the country to command a Passing Out Parade at the Air Force Academy. She is also a Defence Expert on many renowned news channels.
After her Short Service Commission in the Air Force, she devoted herself fully to the cause of nation building along with her father in Prahar. She is an eloquent speaker and inspires the youth. At present, she takes care of all the activities of the organization very effectively.
- Adjudged the Best Senior Wing NCC Cadet of the Country at Republic Day parade 1993
- Awarded Gold Medal by the then Prime Minister of India Mr.P V Narsimha Rao at Republic Day function at New Delhi.
- Felicitated by Smt. Sulekhatai Kumbhare, Ex Minister of State for water resources on “Women‟s Day” as “Outstanding Woman of the year”, the Hon. Governor of Maharashtra Mr. P. C. Alexander, Hon. Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Shri Sudhakarrao Naik, Hon. Vice Chancellor of Nagpur University, DR. P. L. Bhandarkar for being the 1st girl from Nagpur NCC to become Best Senior Wing NCC Cadet of the Country at RD parade 1993.
- Was awarded as “Outstanding Women of Nagpur for Exemplary Social Work” by the Nagpur Municipal Corporation in the year 2015.
- Awarded “Shikshan Samarpan Award” by Sakal Group of News Paper and J D College of Engineering in the year 2019.
- Was awarded as “Outstanding Women of Nagpur for Exemplary Social Work” by the Nagpur Municipal Corporation in the year 2019.
- A special award, at the hands of Param Pujniya Govind Dev Giriji Maharaj was given by Mardikar Parivar and Yuva Jhep Pratishthan to Flt Lt Shiwalee Deshpande (Retd) for imbibing soldierly qualities in the youth.